Tuesday, November 17, 2009

"books do furnish a room"

Most people have a room in their house they call an office. Or maybe a den.

I grew up with a library.

That extra little room at our house was always floor to ceiling books, with a computer stuffed somewhere in between shelves, almost an afterthought.

Every night you could find my dad there, reading in his rocking chair. I'm not home to see it on a daily basis any more- but I know he's there, every evening, rocking and reading. In fact, I'd bet he's doing just that right now.

My dad taught me to love books. He introduced me to the magic of the written word- how it can take you places and teach you things and expand your mind. Not a bedtime went by that he didn't read to me, and as soon as I was old enough to hold a flashlight under the covers, I'd stay up for hours reading on my own. He showed me that there's nothing more exciting than learning something new from a book. I'll forever be grateful for that invaluable gift.

On that note, this is where I've been finding Madison lately...



She will crawl into her room, pull down all her books from her shelf, and sit on the floor looking at them for fifteen, twenty minutes at a time. Several times a day.

Takes after her Grandpa.

PS: Remember the Dog? Yes, those are teeth marks in Maddi's wall.

6 comments:

ANeibaur said...

That's adorable, and wonderful of you to share your memories with us. I love reading! I hope Aryn will enjoy it as much as I do when she is older. I remember all through school I wasn't all that interested, but thanks to her daddy she is falling in love with Story time.
I think there is just something about daddy's and stories, they just work together :D

Jasmine said...

So great! Alexis loves reading, too. Here's to hoping they never lose this passion! :)

I remember your dad doing that, too, oddly enough. And I didn't even spend that many nights at your house. I need to do better at reading--I just can't find the time. Maybe I need a room and a rocking chair...

Steve said...

That's my girl!

(wipes a little eye moisture)

Love you, Princess!

Derico Photography said...

How cute! Books scattered about our home is a daily occurrence too. We just finished The Secret Garden and have started Winnie The Pooh by A.A. Milne. I LOVE that they love to read. It's fun when they get a little older. Sometimes I have Abby "read" a story to me. Really she looks at the pictures and interprets the pictures, but it's so cute!

Lisa said...

I hope we can have a little library room someday too...So we will be in town from Christmas to New Years! We are going to need to come visit you guys! I can't wait to see little Madison in person...

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful gift to pick up early! Here's hoping Maddison loves reading her whole life long at least as much as you love reading to her and watching her read.

Best thing I can say about the dog teeth marks are that at least you'll always feel like you'll have a dog without having to actually feed or care for it now.