Thursday, November 19, 2009

dinner. and a photo.

Tonight Micah and I attended a big, fancy networking dinner (hosted by the Business School) with a whole lot of important people. We ate foods I've never heard of on tiny little cocktail plates sans silverware (does that make it more fancy? Because it made me feel a little impolite...) and chatted with former Supreme Court Justices, owners of the Big Four Accounting Firms, and the like.

It was thrilling- mingling with these men and women who are so accomplished and prominent in their fields, to hear their perspective on life, opportunities and success. I was a little awe-struck, to be honest.

But what I liked most was talking to their spouses.

One cute old lady just couldn't say enough good about her accomplished husband. Her attitude was infectious; it made me want to share the wonderful man I married with the world. It made me want to do more to support him, to encourage him, and to inspire him. It made me think how excited I am for the experiences that lay ahead for us, and how grateful I am to be by his side through whatever opportunities come our way.

I sure do like him.


Post Script.
I kind of love this picture:

4 comments:

Jasmine said...

Seriously! What is with those cocktail h'or d'oeuvres?!?! I always felt really awkward at any of Joel's fancy-shmancy school, firm, or networking parties, because I simply didn't know how to eat them. Do you do it all in one bite? Are you supposed to break it with your fingers? Just dig in? Maybe I should find a book on etiquette for these kind of gatherings.

Way to be a wonderful, supporting wife. Joel has told me in the past that me being there for him (and helping to make a good impression at those gatherings, of course) is what keeps him going. I'm sure Micah feels the same.

Darling picture! I miss those moments. Now all mine wants to do is give me "kisses"--which are really open-mouthed drool fests, but they're still cute--or bounce up and down on my tummy when I'm lying on the floor.

Derico Photography said...

Sounds like a lot of fun! And that is totally a cute daddy daughter pic!

Sarah said...

Micah is lucky to have a wife with such confidence and so outgoing. I think I might curl up in a ball in the corner. Bravo! :)
Such a cute picture.

Anonymous said...

There's a great perspective! How wonderful to be at an experience that infects its attendees with excitement for supporting their family.

The picture is so endearing. What a perfect daddy/daughter shot. I know every little girl wants to curl up safe in her daddy's arms.