Tuesday, December 8, 2009

We just watched a man win a quarter of a million dollars on national tv.
He lost 239 pounds (then ran a marathon) in seven months, added years to his life and inspired thousands in the process.

After that we saw some friends of ours (an a capella group from BYU, actually) on a commercial for a new singing competition series. We are so excited for them. And we are counting down the days to the premier.

Last weekend, we watched my cousin perform in a world-renowned dance group that brings joy to people all over the globe (this summer they toured China. ! ).

I feel so proud of all of them. I feel inspired by them.
But it makes me think,

What can I do?

Not that I feel I need to be on tv or travel the world.
It would just be nice to make a difference, you know? To know that what I do means something to people.

Then I read this on my sweet sister-in-law's blog:

"We...have a lot to learn about simplifying our lives. We have to decide what is important and then move along at a pace that is comfortable. We have to develop the maturity to stop trying to prove something.
We have to learn to be content with what we are."

- Marjorie Hinckley


Silly me.
I know I mean the world to my husband.
And I make a difference in my little girl's life every single day.

And that's enough.

10 comments:

Steve said...

You fill my heart with such joy and happiness it is practically inconceivable (and yes, I know what the word means). You have brought such comfort and peace to my life. I hope someday you may begin to understand how much you have brightened the world I live in.

Heather said...

SO true! Love it!

Michelle D. Argyle said...

Katy, this is wonderful! I'm going to put that quote on my blogs so I can see it every day.

It truly is enough to be who we are.

Sarah said...

Great insight. I often feel, "I need to do more." And then feel overwhelmed that I don't have the time or energy to do more. Thanks for the quote

Rachel Leigh said...

Katy! You are an amazing woman! You do a lot that you don't even see. You are definitely someone who has inspired me to be a better person.

Jasmine said...

I think we all need that reminder from time to time. Thanks. I needed that. :)

Sara said...

You are amazing!! Love this post- great reminder. Oh and every time we see the commercials for that show I always tell Mark, "Vocal Point should do that. They'd be awesome."

Vanessa said...

I needed that message today. Thanks for helping me. :)

So cool about Noteworthy, too!

Anonymous said...

Don't sell yourself short, dear Katy. Your reach is much, much further than that. Yes, it is just you being you, but what an amazing you you are! Here is one more life you touch more deeply than the biggest national superstar and more humblingly than a touring abroad. Thank you for being you.

The Lorenc Family said...

Aw, Katy. I just love you. You make a difference to me every day. Just knowing someone like you is out there, just makes me know there is right in the world. And I'm not alone in trying to do it.