Saturday, January 9, 2010

Dear Blogosphere,

How do I get my kid to eat vegetables?!?

9 comments:

Andi Fitz said...

Boston used to eat everything, but now he's being picky especially with vegetables! We've been mixing his baby food vegetables in with some of our food like sauce that goes on top of something, or soup, or whatever we are having. That works for us. That way it dilutes the flavor of his baby food, which I can't blame him for not really liking. I wouldn't want to eat that stuff!

Jasmine said...

I wish I could offer advice, but Alexis absolutely LOVES veggies. My problem is getting her to eat meat. Sometimes I even "hide" a piece of meat behind a veggie just to get her to eat it. Kids are funny. :)

Michelle D. Argyle said...

Have you tasted the baby food vegetables. BLECH!

However, if you're talking about regular vegetables, just leave up to the kid. Just keep putting them on their plate and maybe they'll try them and like them sometime.

Darcy's trick was to put just a little bit of salt on them. She loves salt. If there's salt on something, she'll eat it. I know that might sound horrible, but I'd rather have her eating a bowl of broccoli with a little bit of salt and butter than no broccoli at all. Y'know?

Plus, WE love veggies. When she sees how much we like them and eat them, she's all over it. :)

ANeibaur said...

Isn't that the magic question... I still have no clue. I guess it would help if i liked to eat veggies, but that's probably where I went wrong with Aryn. I think you have to start them with veggies then when they are older give them fruit as a treat. Good luck. :)

Sarah said...

Have you tried making your own? Lpu likes the homemade stuff better. Does she like them from the table? Try mixing in something she likes - like pasta sauce, applesauce, or another veggie, then slowly mix in less and less. Keep trying though. On average it takes 10 exposures to a food for a kid to decide if they like it or not.

The Barbers said...

I JUST read an article about this! The suggestion was to give green ones first. Introduce around 3 new veggies everyday, don't force it on them and don't give up on what they didn't seem to like. Try it again the next day and 8-10 times before giving up on it completely. Try everything eventually, mushrooms, beets, squashes... all of them. And do them fresh. No baby food. They have a completely different taste and texture. Texture is actually what most babies are reacting to and not taste! Always have something they will like and try to put off fruit in this process. I'm interested in trying this with the next child.

Sara said...

I've heard giving frozen vegetables works well. Like frozen peas. Maybe let them defrost a bit but still cold and slightly frozen. Maybe because it feels good on their gums?

Anonymous said...

Er, not sure. I was, am, one of those strange kids were veggies = the best part of dinner.

Maybe add sugar? Almost anything tastes better with sugar.

The Lorenc Family said...

Pops says if they see them enough, they'll eventually try them on their own. This never seemed to work until recently. I have been doing if for years. I love asparagus and the past three times I have made it, at least one boy will say he wants to try it. Nobody has liked it yet, but they have kept trying. Brady has committed to eating veggies he doesn't like. It helps the boys to see him eating them, he has great influence! (the real deal: they know he hates veggies, too!) I also serve veggie trays with meals. My kids have come to also like snap peas, and now Thomas likes tomatoes. Tomatoes have been the ultimate dreaded food here! I also limit junk foods or sweets in the house,or even convenience foods like yogurt or crackers. If they know it's in the house, they will fight to eat it. If it's gone, they seem to be okay with the veggies. SO when that stuff in gone, it's gone until budget allows me to buy more. Anyway, that was long. Sorry. Thanks for asking!