Sunday, October 4, 2009

Shoes.


I really love shoes.


My mom used to call me
"Imelda," after Imelda Marcos- 1980's First Lady of the Phillipines, known to have owned over two thousand pairs. (She was also recently dubbed one of Newsweek's "Greediest People of all Time," so perhaps I should curb my fetish just a bit...)

I'll probably never have thousands of shoes (sadly), but I have discovered a new love:

baby shoes.


Tiny, adorable, itty bitty baby shoes.

A few weeks ago I discovered the most beautiful little pair of boots I have ever seen, and (lucky me!) the pattern to sew them. So I bought the pattern and made some for Madison.
And then made some more.
And then got a little carried away.


And although I would love to have a pair of boots to match every single one of my daughter's outfits, I thought it would be a little more practical to try to sell them. I've rented a booth in a Fall Farmers' Market near my parent's house a few weeks from now, so we'll see what the baby shoe market is like and if I can bring in a little extra grocery money (we can all use a little extra grocery money these days!).

If nothing else, it brings together an old love of shoes and a new-found passion for designing/ creating that brings me a sense of satisfaction and purpose I haven't felt in a while. Maybe it's silly to find so much meaning in shoes. But maybe it's important to have something outside of my daily routine that I love to do and will maybe give someone else a little joy, too.

"The desire to create is one of the deepest yearnings of the human soul. No matter our talents, education, backgrounds, or abilities, we each have an inherent wish to create something that did not exist before. Creation brings deep satisfaction and fulfillment. We develop ourselves and others when we take unorganized matter into our hands and mold it into something of beauty." -President Dieter F. Uchtdorf





19 comments:

ANeibaur said...

Those are absolutely adorable Katy! I am insanely impressed, you certainly have one lucky little girl to have such a creative mommy! If Aryn's feet were smaller I would buy a few from you, She is definitely a shoe girl like you, she has way more then I do and wears them all a few times a day, not to mention snagging mine and taking them as her own. LOL
Love the shoes! So cute!

Sara said...

You will sell out in a matter of minutes! Those are darling!! You are so very talented Katy. Bring all your cute bows to sell too! Good luck!

Andi Fitz said...

Hey Katy those are so dang adorable! Good job! If Boston was a girl I would for sure for sure buy some for him! That is awesome you found that hobby that you love and can do while you stay home with your baby!

Potters said...

Those are sooooo cute. I love them. If you think you could make a pair for a boy, I'd love to buy a pair for Mikah. :) LOVE EM!

Derico Photography said...

Not sure how many you have to sell, but I am doing a booth at our annual boutique in Herriman on the 17th. It's $25 but if you are interested, you're welcome to join. Just let me know.

Sarah said...

Love them! Let me know how much and I will by a pair (or two... or three) for sure

Jay Elle Photography said...

Those are adorable! I just know they will sell.

Sarah said...

These are so cute!! I'm sure you will sell a bunch, you'd better make plenty!!

I love the button detail, they really look great! Good luck at the market!

Michelle D. Argyle said...

SOOO CUTE! I'm glad you put up a post about this!

Kam said...

those are the cutest shoes ever. I will buy some. I love them!

Rachel Leigh said...

Katy! those a freaking adorable! I want some right now... or at least the pattern! I love them. I wish I had a little girl right this instant so I could put them on her. :)

The Thomas Family said...

I seriously can't handle how cute they are!!!!

Rachel (Borup) Johnston said...

Kate, I love you. Keep up the good work. I know how much work you've put into these! =D They're incredible!

preston. shawnee. cohen. said...

These shoes are ADORABLE! If I had a little girl I would totally want some. I think they will sell well :)

The Haynie's said...

I love the booties. Where did you find the pattern?

Julianna said...

oh my goodness! those baby shoes are AMAZING!!!! i hope you continue to make those forever because when i have babies (*ahem* a loonnnnnng while from now), i would definitely want a pair from you!!!

you are amazingly gifted gidge!

Rasmussen Family said...

you are a design inspiration!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE those! When I have a little girl I will buy ALL OF THOSE! I have a shoe/baby anything obsession also:)

Anonymous said...

Those shoes turned out darling. It's so creative how you matched the types of fabric, then displayed them for photos. The funnest part about little baby shoes is you can keep them for doll dress-up play later. Even with your enthusiasm, it's nigh-on impossibly to imagine you greedy. How did the booth go at the Fall Farmers' Market?

You are so right about how vital it is to have something to love being creative in. President Uchtdorf's insight hit so true I still remember where I was sitting at the Stake Center when I heard.

Rasmussen Family said...

I have found a 3 button pattern, but where did you find a 2 button one?