It's just that I always have other things to do, things I feel are more important.
Like cleaning my house (is that really as important as I think it is? Because I sure spend a whole lot of time doing it!) and feeding/bathing/entertaining Madison and managing our finances and planning the meals and sifting through coupons and grocery shopping and cooking and baking and doing laundry (there's ALWAYS laundry) and my church calling and spending time with Micah and trying to squeeze in a few hobbies...
Like most stay-at-home moms, I guess.
Like most stay-at-home moms, I guess.
But today I decided that keeping a family record is important, too. I gave up on scrapbooking a long time ago, but a friend tipped me off on the idea of printing our blog in a hardbound book. Presto: instant family journal. Brilliant!
So I'm recommitting to writing more consistently (I know, I've said that before, but this time I really am motivated), with the intent of printing this as our family history and in the hopes that some of our posterity somewhere along the line will appreciate it.
That being said, I'm going to do something that's probably a little unconventional.
I'm going to go back and write posts to go with all the pictures I have of all the events and trips and special occasions from the past several months, the way I would with a scrapbook. All those things I should have blogged about but didn't. Because I want this to be chronological, like a journal or scrapbook should be, I'm adjusting the posting dates, and the posts will end up scattered throughout the archives of our blog. Essentially, none of our posterity will ever know what a terrible blogger I've been. :)
So if you're interested, watch for links to the new old posts, I'll include them as I catch up.
People often use the excuse that their lives are uneventful and nobody would be interested in what they have done. But I promise you that if you will keep your journals and records, they will indeed be a source of great inspiration to your families, to your children, your grandchildren, and others, on through the generations. Each of us is important to those who are near and dear to us—and as our posterity read of our life’s experiences, they, too, will come to know and love us. And in that glorious day when our families are together in the eternities, we will already be acquainted.
-Spencer W. Kimball
-Spencer W. Kimball
3 comments:
I need to get my blog printed off...I just haven't taken the time to do it yet. But I have been using our blog as our family journal, and it definitely keeps me motivated to keep a record. It's so much fun!
I LOVE that quote by Kimball, and I think it's absolutely wonderful that you are recording your important things here. I'll be printing my blog at the end of the year. I'm so excited to see it in a bound book!
It is always easier to do something uninteresting when motivated to do it for someone else, isn't it? That's the only enduring motivation I have to write, too.
Post a Comment