Thursday, April 2, 2009

It's Officially Gone.


My brain, that is. I first noticed it about six months ago when I started doing things like pouring orange juice into my cereal bowl. There are days I don't notice my shirt is on backwards until I'm getting ready for bed, and heaven forbid I actually turn the oven on before dinner's been in there for an hour, not cooking.

I used to think I was a relatively intelligent person, at least the three little bonus words on my diploma suggest something to that effect. Now I have trouble remembering how to spell the word "scissors." The other day, the phrase: ..."Cambodia, or some other South American country..." actually came out of my mouth. How embarrassing.

It's not just spelling and geography; my common sense is completely shot, too. Apparently, honey bears are not microwavable. And microfiber throw pillows really do melt in the dryer, in case you were wondering.

There are at least two or three more anecdotes I intended to include in this post, but for the life of me, I can't remember what they were...

13 comments:

The Barbers said...

Welcome!!! It's good to be in good company.

Jasmine said...

It's the baby. She's sucked all the intelligence out of you. Alexis has done the same thing to me. :) I have the hardest time coming up with words--it's like I know what I want to say, but I just can't find it in the archives of my brain.

Isn't being a mommy great?!?!

Belle Austen said...

I was going to say something clever, but I can't remember what. Oh well at least I had a shower today. Being a mommy is great!

Michelle D. Argyle said...

Katy, I feel your pain. Poor Calista. She's lost even more than we have with three babies...

Um, yeah, I try to sound intelligent most of the time, but it's nothing to what I used to be when I actually had a brain. :D

Rachel said...

Hahah! That is hilarious! Your poor little honey bear...

I just have to say that even if your brain is gone, at least you're still witty! I definitely got a good, loud, laugh in from this post. Thank you for making my day!

Love you!

Derico Photography said...

Welcome to motherhood! Cory was teasing me one day, saying that having our children sucked my brains out. My reply was "Well, they had to get their brains from one of us!". So after three, I have nothing left. It really irks me sometimes because I will stop mid-sentence and go totally blank...

I am working on pictures from a modeling shoot this week and into next, so maybe in another two weeks I could come down for Madison... My mother is graciously knitting a blanket to do pictures with (I have a very specific idea in mind that I hope you'll love). I usually get my schedule on Friday or Saturday for the following week, so I'll let you know as soon as I find out what day will work :)

The Lorenc Family said...

Haha! Oh yeah, mine haven't come back yet... in case you thought that might happen. Instead, I have developed a passion for Franklin Covey Planners and Palm programs to help keep me from at least TRIPLE scheduling myself. And I tend to talk a bit less in public and feel more anxious about saying something off the wall. And I write in my journal a lot. I can go back over what I have written and erase it if need be. Brady and I have a pretty good time laughing at home in the quiet hours of our nights. It's great bonding! It helps him to forgive me for shrinking his best polo in the dryer for the ump-teenth time!

Dip It In Chocolate said...

Is Cambodia not in South America...? I had to think about that for a minute. I think not being in school really kills that kind of knowledge.

My pregnancy brain never went away either. I think it is a little better now, but there were many days I found ice cream in the cupboard instead of the freezer, or I forgot to put soap in the washer and wondered why they weren't clean, or I put in new contacts over my old contacts because I "couldn't find them". And then wondered why my vision was so blurry.

It's all part of the mommy game :)

Sara said...

you crack me up. And I agree, welcome to the club!

Holly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Holly said...

Speaking of brain drain...and then it was gone. Didn't mean to delete this. I really shouldn't be working in multiple windows at this time of night. At least I had put it in word to spell check. Ah well, here it is again:

Well at least you have pregnancy and motherhood to blame for the brain drain. I can hold most of my work/school stuff in my brain but everything else gets lost somewhere along the way. My mom has an appropriate saying on her fridge, "of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most."
Thank heavens for sticky notes!

PS. Ummmm, I have intimate honey bear death knowledge...let's just say they don't boil well for hours either. :) Luckily I have very good pans.

Rachel (Borup) Johnston said...

wow, in all my education about language and speech, I've never heard anything about this "after baby syndrome." Sounds rough! Maybe you should come to the clinic. haha...jk. I love you Kate and you ARE a smart cookie! By the way, you were in my dream the other day and I keep thinking about you...I need to call.

Anonymous said...

Brain? What's a brain?

During my engagement at the end of last year I bemoaned my lost brain capacity. Still, I was hopeful that after the wedding event stress was complete, my brain would come back from hiding.

No such luck.

Mom says it'll come back when there is demand. I'm starting to resign myself to my new lowered-state of simplicity. Sometimes it's frustrating to be counting on my fingers when I used to thrive in Calculus, but now I'm better able to appreciate my hands, metaphorically speaking.

Hope you too find that the new outlook on life has more new opportunities to appreciate that old ones lost!