Wednesday, June 9, 2010

God Gave Me You.

I kind of lost it last night. I guess I've been trying to put on a brave face through all this change, but it's been wearing on me- and I finally cracked. Don't get me wrong, everything is just fine. It's much better than fine, actually. We couldn't be in a better situation. We have a job in this economy, for crying out loud. That alone is a wonderful blessing. We live in a beautiful place and we already have built-in friends (Nineteen other graduates from Micah's program at BYU were hired by USAA, and four of those couples live in our complex. The apartment managers here call us the "Utah Group" and know us all by name. It's like we moved and brought a bunch of friends with us. Pretty sweet deal if you ask me.).
But.

Moving is hard.
Moving is especially hard with a toddler.
Moving away from a place you love is sad.
Moving away from all your family is especially sad.
And combine that with all the daily challenges of being a stay-at-home mom
(i.e. crayon on the walls, EATING of the crayons, spaghetti sauce on the couch, milk on the carpet, a dishwasher that makes your dishes dirtier- really- and a dryer that won't dry your clothes, a budget that still won't work even with twice the income...)
Well, like I said, it wears on you. And if you're like me, you pretend you don't really feel any of these things and try to be cheerful and positive until one day all the frustration comes crashing down.
On your husband
(poor guy).
And of course he is wonderful and understanding and wants to know what he can do to help. And when you tell him you don't know what you need, he just holds you and lets you cry. And then you realize- that's what you needed.

Thanks, Love.

I’ve been a walking heartache
I’ve made a mess of me
The person that I’ve been lately
Ain’t who I wanna be

But you stay here right beside me
Watch as the storm goes through
And I need you

God gave me you for the ups and downs
God gave me you for the days of doubt
For when I think I’ve lost my way
There are no words here left to say, it’s true
God gave me you
-Dave Barnes (this video is worth watching)

13 comments:

Laura Miller said...

Oh man- this is mine and Chris' favorite song right now! We've been listening to it nonstop since it first came out.

It's just one of those that totally make you stop and think about, no matter what, how insanely lucky you are to be married to the most amazing person ever (and in your case, have the cutest little girl ever, too!).

I think night's like that are almost necessary to make you remember the important things.

Derico Photography said...

I heard an interesting quote a few days ago that "no one can go to Heaven on a feather bed" , and while REALLY sad, because wouldn't it be nice? it's so true. All the really hard, annoying, trying things are what bring us closer to him in the end. It just stinks having to live through them!

I remember when we moved into our house with the two toddlers and baby madison on the way, so I DEFINITELY feel your pain! Two years later, we still have most of a garage and basement filled with boxes we haven't unpacked yet, or new boxes we've packed up that we don't need or have room for the stuff. Moving just plain stinks!

Hope you get feeling better soon. Just remember, the crayons will come off, the laundry will eventually dry, the boxes will one day be gone, and the budget will hopefully begin to balance. In the meantime, love those around you like a mad woman and they will help you get through it all in one piece.

Rachel Leigh said...

If anyone can deal with all the stress, it is you! You are amazing! Adam and I have been going over our budget too, and I don't know if you have read it (I am sure you heard of it if you went to Jami's financial peace thing) but its a book called Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey... I freaking love it. If you haven't read it, you should. It is not very long at all and has so much info.

Jasmine said...

I totally know what you mean! It's so hard to start completely fresh away from everything you know. At least you have friends there with you. :) But I also understand that's no substitute for everything else you left behind. My advice would be to find things to keep yourself busy and go on little adventures to discover all the great things about your new home. Soon you'll begin to feel that you are home. *hugs*

For the crayons on the wall -- Mr. Clean Magic Erasers are the best!

Katielin317 said...

Thank goodness for the good men in our lives, right? I don't know how I'd manage my sanity without Kent. I could get along and survive (I've HAD to for much of our marriage, with deployments and such)...but to keep my sanity and remain HAPPY would be a much greater challenge if it weren't for him. Great post:)

Aubrey said...

Katie, you are really amazing to me. Just being around you so much these last few weeks has been such a blessing. I can only imagine how much more difficult moving with a toddler would be, but you are such a trooper. I admire you with all my heart, and I'm glad I have you to look to as a wonderful example of how to be a fabulous mother. Girls night soon with a chick flick and ice cream!!

brittany said...

reading that brought tears to my eyes because it rings so close to home. There is nothing like a good cry on your husbands shoulder to get the stress out.

We need to get together with yall!

Michelle D. Argyle said...

I'm really sorry you're having such a difficult time, Katie, but life is made up of these trials that I believe shape us into better people that we ever thought we'd be. I think the best thing to do in these times is cry and embrace the the trials with all our might. I'm having a rough time with some sickness right now, and Adam gave me a blessing that shifted my perspective. Remember who is truly on your side and where we are headed. Family is always here a phone call away. Please call if you need. I miss you dearly!

Darkthane said...

Remember that Michelle is a stay at home mom too and has a webcam on every computer! (That means you two can chat when you need to.) Isn't technology great! Know that you are missed here but we are very happy for the opportunities you have been blessed with. That being said, I do have one question.....What is with the scruff, Micah?

Mike & Emily West said...

I really like this post...thanks!

Rachel (Borup) Johnston said...

Kate--so sorry I didn't read this post before I talked to you on the phone today! I would have liked to tell you in person that I'm sorry for the hard day. I'm so glad you married Micah...he knows how to treat you right. It's a big relief to me that someone's taking good care of you =) don't be afraid to feel sad. We're supposed to feel a range of emotions--it's part of this life. Don't shun it. I personally believe that as long as we treat others with kindness no matter how we feel, we should acknowledge the true feelings we have...don't bottle it and try to cover it. my little soap box

Rachel (Borup) Johnston said...

I'm good at the unsolicited advice thing too =) haha

Anonymous said...

The poem, and how it applies to your story, brought me to tears. I ache to give you a hug, though I'm sure I'm neither the first nor last in line for that wish.

Prayers that your husband's supportive embrace and loving acceptance will always be the exact magic you need.