The Dog (still unnamed) tried to climb in bed with me last night.
This morning, he woke up when Micah did (5am), then woke up the baby, then did his business all over her bedroom floor.
He then proceeded to chew the paint off the walls.
After Madison was fed and the mess cleaned up, I took the Dog outside to play.
Apparently the patchy grass in our backyard is very wet in the mornings...
After the Dog and I were both thoroughly covered in mud, I picked him up and hauled him into the bathtub, where I tried to gently wash off his paws.
Apparently the Dog doesn't like water.
And I am thinking I really have no desire to have a dog right now...
9 comments:
Puppies are definitely a lot of work. I know lots of people who decide to give up their pets when they have kids, and I always feel sad for them. But, you have to do what is best for you, your family, and your sanity.
(I'm not saying give up the dog, I'm just trying to provide some moral support.) :)
Katy, when Adam told me that you'd gotten a puppy, I said, "WHAT!?????? Are they absolutely insane!?"
I still think you are. After house sitting for me parents with the new puppy AND trying to take Darcy, I decided then and there that I just don't like dogs. Well, when I have small children, I don't like dogs. Period. It's like another child, but not as smart, and they don't grow up. LOL. They're cute and there's advantages, but overall, they just plain stress me out.
When they grow up, they're a little better, but still, taking care of my parent's dog when they're gone STILL stresses me out, and it's full grown now. It still woke me up at 4:30 a.m. the last time I was there. Lovely.
Now, knowing you, I can see you getting stressed out too. Like, a lot. And they're so much work! Okay, I'm being totally negative, sorry. I didn't say much to you about it because the dog seemed pretty well behaved and you guys love it. If that's still the case, yay! But I think you might need to ask yourself if it's going to be worth the trouble for you.
If this post was all done in jest, sorry for being so negative. :(
Oh, and your parent's dog seems to be an exception, by the way, because watching JoJo and taking care of Darcy was no sweat at all. That dog is like heaven. :)
Coming from a person who had a baby AND a new puppy, I felt the same for the first few months we had him. We bought him a kennel to sleep in at night, which he still uses. We just stuck him in the laundry room and we had no issues with him waking anyone up at the wrong times. Also potty training is HARD and in our new house with new carpet, I very seriously considered selling him hundreds of times, but we got through it. We have had him for a year now and I swear to you he is the best dog!
It's completely up to you what you can handle, but if you love him it will be worth it. If not then wait until Madison is a little older and more independent and then maybe try again!
Just remember that he will grow out of all these bad habits. He certainly is cute.
Good luck sweetheart!
Yah, our puppy is in a dog run and then as long as he behaves, he gets to come inside (which isn't for very long, lol) but I'm hoping after madison can walk and defend herself enough to get away from him when he is trying to lick her face off, then we can bring him back inside. I am a big supporter of kennels or dog runs for sleeping at night.
You will make it. It's one of those things that you have to put work into, it can't and won't just work itself out on it's own.
Remember, this is from a current non-pet owner. Look elsewhere for more experienced and wise advice first and foremost.
First off, if you don't already have a kennel, get one. Or fence of part of the kitchen/laundry room. The dog, like people, needs to have its own personal space corner. This will also keep him from wandering where he shouldn't while you sleep.
Last time my parents got a dog, the next day they got a second one. (Well, it was a little more complicated then that, but that was the end result.) That way, the two dogs grew up together and were each other's playmates. They're nearly inseparable, and listen good to training/reprimands because they always have each other for being in time-out. They don't get bored enough to seek out more mischief than playing with the other or their toys.
Hmm, another option you might want to look into is having Dog become an outdoor pet - eat, sleep, and play all outside. Remind me, do you have a yard big enough he can be left unattended to run in circles? As long as there's food in the dish, an overhang to keep out the worst of the weather, a doghouse to sleep in, and daily play from his humans, he sounds like the playful enough breed to be happy as an outdoor pet.
The advice for dog training is good. Really good. Whatever else you do, do a full course of training. I've still got a reference for you, should you want it. Or at least find someone who can get the pup to livable society. You deserve to have a happy, helpful puppy, not a mini-tornado.
Now if you haven't gotten enough permission yet, I give you permission to admit you made a mistake and try to find the dog a new home. You already have had a full introduction how the dog on its own is as hard to keep track of as twins. Maybe your family should have a pet... but not yet. If that's the case, that's okay and good. Remember that, you are an amazing woman and no less for not being able to handle things over your head!
I could not have been happier about a day after our dog got away. She was full grown and far better house trained than a pup, but I couldn't stand all the extra stuff! It will be a while before I am willing to try again.
Katy, I didn't know you had a blog. Or a puppy. :) Best o fluck with that.
Post a Comment