Sunday, June 21, 2009

The Checklist


When I was 16 years old, I made a list of everything I wanted in my future husband (come on girls, you all know you had one, too). Currently, this list is in my high school journal in a box somewhere in my mom's basement, but I remember a few things on it:

is a returned missionary who can marry me in an LDS temple (check)

makes me laugh (check)

sings to me (check)

is gentlemanly and respectful (check)

will be a good father to my children (check)


There were several other criteria, and I'm pretty sure Micah's met them all- and then some. He's a better husband than I will ever deserve, and a better father to my baby than I could ever have hoped for.

for example:


The night we brought Madison home from the hospital
I peeked in the bedroom while brushing my teeth
and he was leaning over the little bassinet,
reading scriptures to our 9-day old
.



He makes the goofiest sounds and faces
just to get her smiling.


He's the only person who can get her
to sleep during church.


As soon as he walks in the door from work
he scoops her up and dances around the living room,
singing to her while she giggles
really, really hard.


Every once in a while,
I still catch him staring at her while she sleeps,
absolutely amazed.

He tries every day to be the best dad he can be.

Happy Father's Day, Love!


3 comments:

Michelle D. Argyle said...

Awww, this is so sweet! Micah is a wonderful father!!! Happy Father's Day. :D

Anonymous said...

How wonderful! I'm so happy you have the perfect Prince Charming for you and Madison! You are a perfect family together.

Dip It In Chocolate said...

haha oh my gosh. We so wrote these together. I just read mine a few months ago when I was going through an old box. Seems like we wrote those a lifetime ago; doesn't it?

You should have called me about the dog! I would have taken him in a heartbeat! What a cutie! (But I can understand why you didn't want to keep him at this point in your life)