Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mother's Day

"Motherhood is near to divinity; the highest, holiest service to be assumed by mankind."
J. Reuben Clark, Jr.



I absolutely love being a mom. I love the big grins, the tiny giggles, the curious eyes and wildly kicking legs. I love itty bitty hands wrapped around my finger and half-asleep cuddles and the incredible feeling you get when you hold your own child. My baby brings me so much joy, every single day. I wouldn't give this up for anything.

But every day, I hear that being a mom is not enough. That it's just not that important. It makes me so sad to know that my daughter will grow up in a world where the fundamental, irreplaceable, sacred responsibility of mothering is demeaned and even scoffed at.

So as we celebrate Mother's Day, I want to recognize not only my wonderful mom, but women everywhere who give up many of their own pursuits, aspirations, personal goals, and so so so much of their energy and time to raising their children. Because it is worth it.

To quote Oprah: "I believe the choice to become a mother is the choice to become one of the greatest spiritual teachers there is. To create an environment that's stimulating and nurturing, to pass on a sense of responsibility to another human being, to raise a child who understands that he or she is created from good and is capable of anything- I know for sure that few callings are more honorable. To play down mothering as small is to crack the very foundation on which greatness stands."

I am humbled (and often extremely overwhelmed!) at the responsibility of being a mom. I have a lot to learn. But I am surrounded by so many women in my life who inspire me to be a better mother. To my beautiful mom, my mothers-in-law, sisters-in-law, and friends- thank you for your quiet examples of service and love. Happy Mother's Day!

4 comments:

Michelle D. Argyle said...

Those are beautiful pictures! We need to do your family ones! Please let me know when you'd like to do it and we'll work around scheduling. :)

What an awesome post, Katy. Touching!

Jasmine said...

She is getting so big!

Thank you for your wonderful words. You have articulated how I've been feeling the last several months. Motherhood has been extremely downplayed as of late, but I've also noticed prominent women in the media are beginning to come out and praise mothers and the sacrifices they make. So maybe society isn't doomed afterall. :)

Go moms!

Sara said...

such beautiful pictures. You are both so dang cute!

Anonymous said...

Oh, what a beautiful mother you make. Your family is so blessed for the role you seem to fulfill 110%.

May each year find you full of ever-growing joy and commitment to your motherhood.