Friday, January 23, 2009

Much Better!

For the last few days, Maddi hasn't been able to keep much down when she eats. I don't mean cute little dribbles of spit up, I mean spewing. Everywhere. Ounces at a time. Poor thing- she couldn't eat, couldn't sleep, and just screamed her little voice hoarse. It broke my heart. I almost cried as much as she did.

So we took her into Urgent Care last night.
Good News: Still gaining weight. 1 ounce shy of 7 pounds!
Bad News: Acid reflux
Good News: Easy fix with a prescription of Zantac

Less than a milliliter of these wonderful little drops, and we have our sweet, happy, calm baby back. She was finally able to eat well- no spewing, no gagging, no coughing, no screaming- and is now sleeping peacefully.


Hooray for modern medicine!

9 comments:

Belle Austen said...

Yay! I am glad that it was something so easily solved! You are doing great. Just take it one day at a time.

Derico Photography said...

Yes, medicine is a life saver! That was the same thing Abby had. She cried ALL the time. I thought maybe it was just me. Zoe was so much easier than Abby, and our Madison, even more than Zoe. I am glad I had Madison last because then I would have probably expected the other two to be as good as her (which will never happen in this lifetime I'm convinced!) Glad you hear you got that taken care of... it makes it so much nicer when they are happy and healthy.

Jasmine said...

Oh, reflux is the worst! I'm lucky that Alexis didn't have it, but my friend's baby did, and it was no fun. I'm glad she's feeling better! (And I have definitely spent several nights crying with Alexis. Sometimes love hurts.)

ANeibaur said...

Oh no that's no fun. She is still healthy so way to go mommy! I am happy to hear that she is feeling better. Hopefully that laundry will slow down for you now. ;D

Unknown said...

Caleb had to be on zantec for like a month because of acid reflux, and it helped tons! But he would still get gassy and we found that "gripe water" worked best (you can get it at wal-greens-it is an herbal medicine). I hope you are doing better, it can be way overwhelming, but I am sure you are doing awesome!

Michelle D. Argyle said...

YAY!

Darcy was on Prevacid. It did wonders. So glad you found something that worked.

Tim, Katie, and Chase said...

Chase had GERD too. It is rough!! I remember feeling like he wasn't getting any of those nutrients I was working so hard to feed him. Once they start solids they keep a lot more down as well; only when it comes up... it will NOT come out of clothes. Hopefully hers will go away in a few months and you won't have to deal with that!
PS- I will vouch that Gripe Water works great too! They have it at babies-r-us and Maceys too. We used it when we could just NOT figure out what was wrong with Chase. It is magical. (Safe too, according to doc)

The Barbers said...

Zantac...for an infant? Interesting. Whod've thunk? I'm glad it worked!! Poor baby.

Anonymous said...

On top of washers/dryers, what a nice thing this is modern life to have medicine.

So glad your little one is feeling better.