Monday, November 8, 2010

Dear Madison,

I had a hard day today.  For reasons that had nothing to do with you.  And I snapped. I got so frustrated, and I yelled at you.  Then I slammed a door, and stomped around fuming for a while (in other words, I acted very childishly).

Fifteen minutes later, you said, "Mama, hug." And I burst into tears.  I felt so terrible about losing my temper. I felt horrible for raising my voice at you, especially when you had done nothing to deserve it.  And as I sat there, tears streaming down my face, you got so quiet.  You stared at me, cocked your head to one side, wrinkled up your nose and said, "Sad."  Then you reached out your little hand and patted my cheek and said, "Okay."

Then you stuck a finger in a big tear rolling down my face and said, "yucky!" 
And I started to laugh.  And you laughed, and gave me a big hug.
All better.

And then I thought about Jesus, who took a child in his lap and urged his disciples to be more like little children.  And I realized I have a lot to learn from you.  I'm the one who acted childish and immaturely today, while you- not even two years old!- showed so much sympathy, love and forgiveness. Thank you for being an example to your mother today.  I have a feeling it won't be the last time.

Love you, Bug.
Mama

10 comments:

Laura said...

I love you, Katy. Being a mother definitely takes the best and worst out of us and hopefully makes us even better. Thanks for sharing your sweet thoughts.

Elisabeth (and Tyler) said...

What a sweet little one.. She gets it from her sweet mama. This was beautiful, Katy.

Heather said...

way to make me choke up this morning, katy! haha. What a doll. YOU are a doll and a wonderful mother and person! Thanks for sharing!

Sara said...

I've so had those moments. Thanks for sharing, it makes me feel a little better knowing I'm not the only one that has a child that is more mature than myself sometimes!
Oh and PS, Madison is beautiful and looks just like her mommy!

Meg said...

Aw Katy, this is so sweet. You make me so excited to be a mom. You are doing an awesome job!

Anonymous said...

This made me cry. Thank you for sharing such a precious moment with us, Katy.

Mike & Emily West said...

I think I cried a little when I read this. I've been there, similar situations. These little ones are such a blessing!

Karen said...

Cutest puckered lips I've ever seen. What a special moment you two shared. Children really are the best teachers.

Sarah said...

Cried, because, well, I feel similar lately because Lydia and I have been a little jet lagged, so we are a little cranky without our usual sleep.
I am so grateful little kids are so forgiving. Yet one more reason I totally understand the Lord's invitation for us to become like little children. It sure is harder the more I get to know children.

Michelle D. Argyle said...

This post broke my heart! This happens at least once a week at our house. You'd think I'd learn. Darcy is so much stronger than me...and Maddi is so much like her in so many ways. This also just makes me miss you guys a lot!