Wednesday, November 10, 2010

BBQ. (This one's for you, Dad!)

When we decided we'd be moving to San Antonio, my Dad asked me to do something for him.
"  Find the best barbecue in Texas,"  he said. "Learn how to make it, then teach me."

See, my dad loves good food. And he's pretty handy with a grill. In fact, to be perfectly honest, I think his cooking rivals any of the local fare I've tasted here.

However.  This place is a pretty close second.
 Rudy's claims to be the "worst" BBQ in the state, because they serve up your dinner on parchment and paper boats, all loaded into a plastic crate.  The dining area is a big concrete room packed with wooden picnic tables and folding chairs, condiments on the tables and napkin dispensers on the walls.  The whole place is sandwiched between a little general store and a gas station.  Not the fanciest digs in town. But my oh my, the food is something else!



Real Texans don't put sauce on their BBQ (so we've been told), but if you must have sauce, this is supposed to be some of the best.  Maybe misspelling it makes it better...?
But if you do nothing else, next time you find yourself in Texas, go to Rudy's and get some creamed corn. I'm not even sure I like creamed corn.  But I LOVED this stuff.  Really, you've got to try it!

Which means,  Dad, when ya'll come to visit, we'll be bringing you here for dinner! Maybe you can talk them into sharing some of their secrets.  

(But for the record, I don't think your BBQ needs any help.)

8 comments:

Heather said...

haha I love this Katy. I can even hear a bit of twang in your writing! Are you picking up a Texas accent?! :) I've never tried Rudy's before! They have a Babes country fried chicken place by my house that this reminds me of (but that's a different topic for a different day.) I can't wait to visit the great state of Texas in a couple of weeks! I miss that big Texas sky! I hope you're doing well!! MISS YALL!

Anonymous said...

Found some of the best in the whole of Texas already? Impressive and congratulations!

matt and steph said...

I love love love Rudy's! I grew up just around the corner from that Rudys and now that I have been in UT for 6 years I miss it sooooo much!

Meg said...

Have you heard of The Salt Lick? I've heard that's even better than Rudy's, if that's possible!

Derico Photography said...

LOL! How fun! I think now I'm going to go fix ribs for dinner... bbq sounds good!

Steve said...

Shucks! Now I'm salivating all over my keyboard! YUCK! And it's still an hour to lunch! AAAUUUGGGHHH!

Real creamed corn is a taste of heaven, but real creamed corn never came from a can. I'm glad you got to try some of the real stuff. But is that chicken in the photo? Real Texans eat beef, Honeychile.

Thanks for thinking of me, though.

Michelle D. Argyle said...

Oh! It's only 6:30 in the morning and I'm dying for some BBQ!

Colleen said...

I know where this place is. we were told that it was the best place to go for dinner