Sunday, February 22, 2009

Two Months

Madison is two months old today. I wish I could say it's gone by quickly, but it really hasn't.

In fact, this has by far been the hardest two months I have ever experienced.

Maddi is still struggling with severe reflux, and is usually uncomfortable and fussy unless she's eating or sleeping. Unfortunately, her discomfort and spitting up often make eating and sleeping difficult for her. It is so hard for us to see her in pain and not know what else we can do to help. We've taken the advice of several doctors, lactation specialists, family and friends; spent hours researching; tried different combinations and doses of medications; drastically changed my diet; tried different methods of feeding/burping; and ultimately spent a whole lot of time crying (both me and her). It's been rough.

But, it's getting better. Very slowly, but it is getting better. I've found that focusing on little successes helps me get through each day and stay positive. Like the fact that Maddi will now sit in her swing or lay on a blanket on the floor for longer than ten minutes at a time (I was getting really good at cooking, cleaning, and eating one handed!). Or how she finally decided baths are calming and soothing rather than screaming through them. Or the glorious four to five hours of sleep I've been consistently getting between 11pm and 4am for the last week. Best of all are the little almost-smiles we get from her--few and far between, and we have to work hard to get them, but they're there!

I really do love being a mom-- as hard as it's been so far, I know it's worth every hour of lost sleep, every tear, every frustrating moment. Sometimes I need to vent (hence the first half of this post), but I need to recognize the good things, too. As soon as my baby smiles at me-- really, really smiles-- I'll forget the first eight weeks of her life were harder than I ever could have imagined. In the meantime, I'll just keep on truckin'.

12 comments:

Brianna said...

Katy you're amazing!! She is adorable and I know it will keep getting better! Keep it up! :)

The Michiganders said...

Hang in there. One thing I am learning from being a mother is that EVERYTHING is a phase. That includes good things and bad things. I am learning to appreciate the good phases and endure the bad knowing that none of it lasts for too long.

Last night I was up with Zach until 3:30--and then he was up every half hour or so until I had to get up with Meghan at 6:30 to help her get ready for school. I am exhausted and impatient and it effects our whole family. I had to cancel visiting teaching and change the whole day's plans because of that lack of sleep.

Then I laid on the couch trying to close my eyes. Zach ended up sitting on me, with an enormous Tonka dump truck on my head and about one million matchbox cars parked all over me.

Many days I am wondering when it will end--then I count up 15 years and know that he will be gone on a mission and I will be missing those precious moments.

So hang in there. Get help when you can, rest when you can. Remember it is normal to be frustrated and even jealous of other children who seem "easy". I'll be thinking of you. ;)

Michelle D. Argyle said...

No matter what people tell you, it's harder than ever! The first three months were the hardest of my life. I'm not sure I can do it again... but I've heard the second is easier. Hard to imagine that, though.

Katie, you're doing great! Hang in there. Before you know it things will get better and better, and life will have moved onto something even better than tiny little smiles. Crawling, laughing, grinning, and walking! It's so much fun! Call me if you need anything. Love you!

Unknown said...

you are amazing. i hear the first few months are the hardest. it's an adjustment for you and for your little one. she's not used to having to control that little body!!

:) much love.

The Barbers said...

Crying is fine. It won't be the last time. I'll be more diligent in including her condition in my prayers! Good luck! Love, Vegas Barbers

Jasmine said...

That's so true, and it is definitely worth it all. You are doing an amazing job! Keep it up, she is one precious, beautiful baby!

Unknown said...

I hope that things continue to improve! Hang in there, I am sure it will start getting easier soon! It will all be worth it for sure.

Maggie said...

Hang in there love

Anonymous said...

Two months already? Eek, but how did February sneak away from me like that?!?

I'm so sorry to hear it has been a trial to start. But it sounds like it is a huge experience in being grateful for all things and drawing you closer as a family.

Extra long-distance hugs to you!!

Seivert/Webb Family said...

When my 1st baby had "a day" of crying (I have been very lucky! not one hard baby) I put him in the stroller, insulated it, and started walking. It was good for him, and did wonders for me.

This too shall pass.....

Micah's Cousin,
Catherine

The Lorenc Family said...

You are so good. Little Madi is learning that her mommy will never fail her, always be there for her, and be her number one fan. And we are all here to do the same for you. Good job and we love you guys.

The Lorenc Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.