Monday, December 22, 2008

Our Christmas Present

Today Katy and I added a member to our small family. Although I won't take much time to include all the details, I decided I should write about our big day and include some pictures. Since I'm running on three hours of sleep (which is more than Katy got until now), here are the highlights of the day:

Sunday, December 21, 7:00pm - Katy calls Dr. Allen because she was having unusual sensations. He tells us to go to the hospital just to be safe.

Sunday, December 21, 9:30pm - Dr. Allen diagnoses Katy with severe Toxemia and breaks her water.

Sunday, 9:30pm - Monday, December 22, 11:30am - Weak contractions all through the night that result in very little progression toward labor. The doctor decides Katy will have to do a C-Section.

Monday, December 22, 1:45pm - Madison Marie is born: 5 lbs, 1 oz and 17 inches long.





Madison was technically about 37 weeks along, but was immediately re-evaluated as measuring closer to 34 weeks, 35 at the most. She's so small that they need to keep her in their baby nursery under close supervision at all times. Neither Katy nor I have held her yet, and Katy has only seen her at all for about 30 seconds right after she delivered. As soon as Katy can stand on her own, we can walk her to see Madison. They say the baby is extremely healthy for her size, and there's nothing to be anxious about. Katy and I are grateful for the prayers and support of our family and friends. We couldn't be happier with our Christmas gift this year.

19 comments:

Michelle D. Argyle said...

She's gorgeous!

Katy and Micah, I love you so much. I was so worried, but it looks like everything has turned out beautifully.

Love all three of you! Congrats. :)

ANeibaur said...

OH MY GOODNESS She is absolutely gorgeous! She looks a lot longer then you say... her legs look so slender. What a cutie.
Both of you hang in there. I know how it feels not to be able to see or hold your baby after its born... I couldn't hold aryn for near 25 hours due to a collapsed lung, but just holding her hand while she was in her bubble was good enough for me.
Sounds like a rough start, but your high spirits will you get you through and you will be home in no time! Congratulations. You have one beautiful Christmas present on your hands. :D I can't wait to see her. :D

Holly said...

Wow! Congrats on your beautiful bundle. She is gorgeous, I am so glad that she is doing well. I hope that they let you hold her soon. Virtual hugs to all of you. Please let me know when we can visit you and give you hugs in person. I am glad Katy followed her instincts and the doctors listened to your concerns. Many blessings this wonderful Christmas.

Mark said...

Congratulations! She's really cute. And Micah, great post...all the facts we were looking for. Hope you guys get to spend more time with her soon.

Sara said...

What a crazy night/day. She is absolutely BEAUTIFUL! Really! Love her light colored hair. We hope and pray that you guys are all doing well! And I agree with the person who said she looks longer than 17 inches! Good luck in the next few days. We can't wait to meet her. You guys are awesome!

Unknown said...

She's stunning. I hope that you will be able to hold her soon.

Congrats you two. That's the best Christmas present I have ever seen. :)

The Michiganders said...

What an amazing miracle each new life is! Welcome Madison. We are so grateful that she is here safely and so tickled to have a new little cousin/niece. I don't think there is any better Christmas present.

I hope that we get to meet her while we are out West. Wishing you a speedy recovery Katy. Have a very Merry Christmas.

The Lorenc Family said...

Congratulations! We are so happy for you guys! She is so beautiful and we wish we could be there to meet her in person. We hope the rest of your hospital stay is comfortable and that you continue to have wonderful nurses and doctors on your side. Our hearts are with you guys at this time.

The Barbers said...

We'll keep you in our prayers and are glad of the blessing God has given. Take this time to rest when you can. I can only imagine how anxious you are to be able to hold her and take care of her, but for now it sounds as if she is in good hands! Thanks for posting pictures! It was fun to see her and not a very convenient time for posting. We love you.

Rachel said...

She's beautiful!

I'm so glad to hear that all turned out well. My sister has had preeclampsia with both her pregnancies. Its not exactly the same as toxemia, but pretty close. It can be scary so I understand. You are going to be the best parents! Congratulations! Love you both

Laura said...

Here's our shout out from NY. Congratulations! We are so excited for you! Best wishes in your recovery and little Madison's health. Love, all the Rawlings

Jen said...

She is just so beautiful! Congratulations, I hope you are all doing well and have a good Christmas!

Jasmine said...

Congratulations!! She is beautiful! What a wonderful Christmas surprise. I'm glad she's healthy, and she looks good and strong. Best of luck with everything!

Anonymous said...

Ooooooh! *coos* Madison is darling!

I'm so happy for your new family member! Congratulations, Micah, Katy, and Madison!! Please let us know as things progress and keep the pictures coming. I'm eager to see one of you're whole family!

Hope that Baby and Mommy get better soon. Prayers that you can all three be together for Christmas. *hugs*

Channa said...

Congratulations Katy! She is such a beautiful baby...and just in time for Christmas. The best Christmas ever. I just found your blog through facebook. I sent you an invite to mine. I hope you have a wonderful Christmas and that you enjoy your beautiful new little one. Love, Channa :)

Maggie said...

Congratulations guys! Merry Christmas indeed!

Mike & Emily West said...

Hi you guys! I just found out you have a blog and when I looked at saw your FANTASTIC news! Congratulations, I am so happy that everything turned out alright. What a scare, you are so very blessed!

Your little Madison is beautiful! Being a parent is wonderful and I know you two will be spectacular parents!

Again, congratulations and I hope that everyone continues to get better. :-) (P.S. if you want, our blog is: bestisthewest.blogspot.com)

Lisa said...

Congrats!! We just got into town for a few days so we need to come see her! I didn't even know you had a blog! I am so excited to be able to see her grow all the way from Cali. We'll call you...

emily said...

KATY!!! Congratulations beautiful mommy!!! Madison is soo lovely!!! Oh i'm so excited for that day to be here for us! I hope you and baby madison are recovering well! :0) again, congrats to a beautiful family!