After almost a week at the hospital, Micah and I got to come home Friday evening. We've been able to rest and catch up on sleep thanks to my wonderful mother- who came to stock our fridge, clean the house, and do our laundry while we stay in bed all day (thanks Mom!!!). We are so glad to be home where we aren't woken up every hour by nurses checking vital signs, and are extremely grateful for our own bed, comfy pillows, and edible food. Although I do miss the nifty electronic bed that moves up and down...
I don't remember a whole lot from the ordeal, due to the fact that I was pumped full of magnesium shortly after we checked into the hospital last Sunday. Apparently magnesium- although it effectively prevents the seizures and kidney failure that come with severe toxemia or preeclampsia- also slows the effects of pitocin. So 15 hours of induced labor didn't result to much progression, but the magnesium (and lots of anesthesia followed by lots of narcotics) did manage to keep me groggy for four days, so at least I don't remember it being that bad, or even remember much of anything. Thank heavens for that, or else I might never agree to have more kids!
I'm feeling mostly like myself again, except that I still look and feel like the Michelin Man from the knees down (Doctor says it might take a few weeks for the swelling from the preeclampsia to go down). Looks like I'll be wearing flip flops in the snow a little longer. The incision from the C-section is healing slowly but surely- it just hurts like crazy when I laugh, so of course everything Micah says is extremely funny and then I try to keep from laughing by taking short, fast, breaths (yay for lamaze class!) which sound like something between a snort and a wheeze, which makes us both laugh even harder. Who knew recovery from major abdominal surgery could be so fun?
Our little Maddi is still in the Special Care Nursery at the hospital, but we get to visit her twice a day. She is healthy, just too small to regulate her own temperature and to thrive without IV-supplemented feedings. As soon as she gains enough weight and is getting enough nutrients on her own, we'll get to bring her home! Already her cheeks are looking fuller and she's more awake and alert when we see her. She is very active (could've told you that- I felt those flailing arms and legs in my ribs and pelvis for months!), and so strong- she's been holding her head up on her own since day one. She has so much personality and makes the most adorable faces- she sleeps with her itty bitty mouth open (gets that from her Dad:) ) and if you try to wake her up she'll crack one eye open and look at you sideways, crinkle her nose and go back to sleep. It's amazing how easy it's been to fall in love with this tiny person we've only known for a week. We already love being parents!
17 comments:
Again, congratulations! I'm so glad to hear that everyone is doing so well. I, too, miss the nifty electronic bed. My mom was just saying that every home should have one. (Cami broke her collarbone on Saturday--that's why she said it.)
Anywho, she is beautiful! I can't wait to meet her!
She is so sweet, Katy. I can't wait to hold her and see you again. I'll try and remain really boring so I don't make you laugh. ;)
Thanks for posting an update. I was wondering how things were going. Love ya!
I hope she gets to come home soon. I also hope we get to meet her. Shae sleeps with his mouth open too. Familial trait? ;)
Feel better soon. It took me about 2 weeks to feel like I was healed. Thinking of you guys.
Katy she is so cute!! Congratulations, that is so exciting!
Aww I am so glad to hear that your all doing so well.
Soon enough you will have your darling daughter home with you... until then try to get as much rest as you can, although sounds like you are.
We love you. Let us know when it's ok to come see her. We would love to see you all. :D
Your descriptions of controlling your laughs got me going. Talk about infectious laughter!
Thank you for the pictures and double for the update. Congratulations on being home. Madison is looking great! Prayers that she gets to come home quickly, too.
Congrats! I am glad to hear everything is going okay. Let us know if you need anything. How was Christmas in a hospital? Good job on making such a cute baby -- hope she gets to come home soon.
Oh Katy she is so cute! I can't wait to meet her! Love you guys! I miss your face!
Katy, your little girls is just adorable! I'm glad you posted your blog address on your facebook, I'm so excited for you and Micah! Check us out at.. tylerandkristen.blogspot.com
Yay! I am glad you get to be home! And I am so glad your Mom is there to help! Yay for moms... all around! You are such a good one!
Congrats you guys. I am so glad that you are all doing well-what an ordeal! But Katy you are one of the strongest people I know so you can totally handle this! We love you and hope your little one can come home soon.
Kate, you let me know whenever I can help. Please, I'd love to. I'll resist coming over before you give me permission. =D Oh, and your lil girl is DARLING!!! (just like you told me!)
Congrats! We are so happy that everything has worked out for the best! She is absolutely adorable! Ry and I will be up your way on the 22nd and would love to see you guys! There is nothing better than being parents!
Congratulations again. I'm so glad to hear that things are going well. She is so beautiful. I can't wait to see more pictures. Take care of yourself - Happy New Year!
Katy and Micah
congrats on your new baby. I didnt even know you were pregnant. WOW I am so excited for you guys. Kamee
Micah! It's sister west (now Jen Layton) - your baby girl is beautiful! Actually both your girls are beautiful!!! I am going to add you to our blog, hope all is well - Jen
www.crazyfunlaytons.blogspot.com
Post a Comment