Perfectionist (n): somebody who demands or seeks to achieve nothing less than perfection (something that reaches the highest attainable standard). Synonyms: stickler, purist, pedant, obsessive, quibbler, hairsplitter, fusspot. Encarta World English DictionaryI've been told I'm a perfectionist. Based on the following observations, I guess that's probably true...
- The clothes in our closet are organized by color and sleeve length, and all hung on identical matching hangers.
- I recently purchased a set of tupperware based entirely on the fact that its red lids match our cereal bowls. Which match our knife set. Which match our measuring cups, spoons, and spatulas. Which coordinate with the dish towels, plates, hot chocolate mugs, KitchenAid, and toaster oven. Which all coincidentally coordinate with the pillows on the couches.
- The CD case in our car is organized alphabetically by genre; meaning every time I have ever acquired a new CD, I have moved every single one of the 100+ old CDs from one little tiny plastic sleeve to the next, in order to make room for the addition. The fact that we use iPods and these CD's are practically obsolete doesn't seem to affect my need for them to be in order.
- Whiteout just doesn't cut it. If I mess up, I need a new sheet of paper. Even for grocery shopping lists.
- This post has been sitting in my drafts folder for over a week, because I wanted it to be just right before I published it.
So it's official! I'm an obsessive, hairsplitting, perfectionist fusspot. As a result, I often get discouraged and feel inadequate. Which is why I appreciated so much President Dieter F. Uchtdorf's message to the women of the LDS Church during our annual worldwide meeting last Saturday:
"When [my wife] prepares a meal, it’s a masterpiece...But sure enough, no matter how perfect everything is, looks, and tastes, Harriet will apologize for something she thinks is imperfect. “I’m afraid I used a touch too much ginger,” she will say, or, “Next time, I think it would be better if I used a little more curry and one additional bay leaf.”
"Let me contrast that with the way I cook. For the purpose of this talk, I asked Harriet to tell me what I cook best. Her answer: fried eggs. Sunny-side up. ...Between fried eggs, even when they are greasy, and [toast], even when they are burned, when I cook, I feel pretty heroic.
"To me it appears that our splendid sisters sometimes undervalue their abilities—they focus on what is lacking or imperfect rather than what has been accomplished and who they really are.
"If that is how you feel, think again, and remember that you are spirit daughters of the most creative Being in the universe. Isn’t it remarkable to think that your very spirits are fashioned by an endlessly creative and eternally compassionate God?"
Read the transcript of the whole talk here.
It's uncanny how well President Uchtdorf seems to understand women. :) How grateful I am for the reminder that I'm not expected to be perfect, only to do my best. In fact, letting myself get caught up in unnecessary details and projects can distract me from reaching out to others and focusing on what matters most.
So I'm going to try to not expect so much of myself, and laugh instead of cry when I burn the toast. Every single morning... (I really do burn it every day- ask Micah!)
11 comments:
I'm glad his talk is helping you because you are truly amazing! (btw, I have my closet organized by color, season, and everything must face the same direction... I understand). Love you!
She only burns the toast because our toaster oven isn't very reliable. :) Katy, those things that you do are part of what I love about you.
They are a part of why I love you, too, sweetie!
And no matter how many times we joke about you being a Naomi, please understand that I don't think of you that way. You are not a passive people-pleaser who can't help herself in any way, shape, or fashion. You are a self-sufficient, spiritually strong young woman who is going forth and making the world a beautiful, well-organized, and better place.
Trust me - your OCD (not really that bad, but it will serve in this sentence) is a blessing for so many things! I love the talk, too, and I think there are things to take away from it that will improve you - but PLEASE don't try and change yourself.
And I'm incredibly jealous that your whole house matches colors . . .
LOL, I have heard of perfectionist.. but you really do take it to a new level. Nah jk.. your great! These things obviously don't upset anyone so just go with it. :D
Btw.. Toasters suck. Ours gets one side more then the other most of the time and sometimes (if you want both sides even) you have to flip it over and do it again.. although most of the time if I do that we get burned toast to.. Hmmm... Toasters need to be upgraded! Technology is so amazing.. why haven't toasters been fancyfied yet?! Well... I take that back, ours can make eggs! Hmmm...
Rach: I think it was seeing your closet that inspired me to organize mine :) Yay for the "red" in our personalities! Love you too!
Michelle: Thanks for the encouragement- I don't feel like I need to change so much, just make sure I keep my priorities in order. PS- it's TOO matchy-matchy. I need an artist's perspective (you or Alyse, wink wink) to come add some excitement!
Alyse: I agree!!! You'd think toasters could be more user-friendly. Hey, you could make a lot of money off that idea...
And thanks for loving my OCD-ness, Micah!
I'm the same way with my grocery lists (or any other list for that matter). I'm such an obsessive compulsive perfectionist...it drives Joel crazy most of the time.
My friend, Cheryl, has a great blog about women trying to be perfect that I really appreciate. It's a discussion board for depression (please don't think I'm telling you about this because I think you have it), and I've really enjoyed her posts. They are similar to Elder Uchtdorf's talk. It's called Abiding Joy. There's a link on my blog to it.
If nothing else my children have taught me that it is okay if things are not perfect. No matter what I do it turns out that it wasn't really that important or that it will be messed up 5 minutes after I finish cleaning it. I love my kids!
wow! I need you to teach me to be that organized- seriously that is a major talent!
I loved his talk too. Really needed to hear it.
Thank you so much for sharing both his talk and, even more important for me, your thoughts about it. It is beautifully written, showing how you see yourself, the external inspiration, and what you hope to gain from it. I think that is a wonderful formula to use for anything that is wanting to be understood or incorporated into who we are.
Umm... yah, kids will definitely make life interesting. Once upon a time I remember my clothes being hung up by season and then by color and some even by material with a special section distinguishing between church and casual. Then marriage happened and I was happy to get them hung up and to fit in them. Then kids happened and I am happy if I can even find something clean to throw on before we frantically run out the door.
Post a Comment