Last night we went to see Alex Boye (someone neither of us had heard of before yesterday) in concert, because a friend of ours was one of the opening performers. While we waited for the show to start, we read Mr. Boye's biography in the program:
Alex Boye' was born and raised in London, England. Alex became the lead singer in the European Boy band "Awesome", selling over half a million Cd's and performing alongside such groups as N'SYNC, The Backstreet Boys, Missy Elliott, Bryan Adams, Mary. J.Blige, The Smashing Pumpkins, and George Michael.
Despite the fame, glory and fortune, Alex felt emptiness in his life that none of these worldly accolades could sufficiently fill. In 2000, Alex felt compelled to move to Utah, to pursue a career in gospel music, and is signed to Deseret Books' Shadow Mountain Label.
Alex simply refers to himself as the "Token Black Guy in Utah". He loves to laugh, and says some of the highlights in his life have been giving a Book of Mormon to Prince Charles, recently joining the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, and marrying his wonderful wife in the Salt Lake Temple.
We found out during the concert that he had been kicked out of his house and was homeless at age 16 as a result of his decision to join the LDS Church. He later served a mission, and it was his Mission President who encouraged him to pursue music as a career. Now he has devoted his time and talents to spreading his love for the Lord and the joy of the Gospel.It was one of the most fun and uplifting performances I've seen (besides Vocal Point- but I'm a little biased!). Sandwiched between goofy imitations of Ray Charles and Louie Armstrong were powerful Christian ballads, soulful gospel tunes and even a rap about the Utah Valley Priesthood Basketball phenomenon ("We love Churchball, we love Churchball- tonight there's gonna be a brawl in the Cultural Hall..."). Even our little one got excited- I've never felt her kick so hard! She is very, very responsive to music- must be a daddy's girl. :)
It's so exciting to me to see people dedicate their talents to uplifting others and promoting the Spirit (one of the reasons I love watching Micah perform)- especially when they could so easily be caught up in the fame and glory of the world. I was truly impressed and inspired, and have been thinking a lot about what I can do with my own little talents to better serve others. Does anyone need their closet organized? ;)

7 comments:
HAHA, I would have totally taken you up on organizing our closets if we hadn't spent ALL day doing just that. Thats funny to me. LOL
I am so glad to hear that you all 3 of you had such a wonderful time. Even though I am not a religious person it warms my heart to hear the experiences of others! How cool :D
(oh and yes I understand pinching your pennies for diaper money... that never ends, thanks for your comment on my blog. Your a sweety! :D)
Come on down!! I could use some help with ideas for organizing period! I feel that my space is so limited and so is my budget. Bring Micah and maybe he could build some stuff for me. :) (chuckle)
Looks like you had fun!
Can you organize under my stairs? Or help me, at least? Please? I'm not kidding . . .
Looks like your organizational skills are in high demand. Good for you! Tell us what happens as you go out and help Michelle and the barbers, assuming travel doesn't prevent you.
Thank you for sharing your experiences at the concert, it is a good reminder that there is plenty of good music and even better exemplars all around.
It's amazing how much babies react to music (both in the womb and out)! When I was about 24 weeks along, we went to see Wicked for Joel's graduation. She was a-movin' and a-groovin' throughout--she did a really big jump when it was especially loud. I want to make sure I expose Alexis (and all our kids) to a wide variety if music, and I am always encouraging others to do the same, because I feel it is so important to have an appreciation for music and all the arts. Nothing can compare with it. (And it's time for me to stop my ramble before I get too carried away.)
Glad you had such a good time!
Abby's favorite thing to twist and turn (and kick, punch, jump and jive) to in my tummy was of course, Phantom of the Opera. I used to turn that on while I was in the bath and Cory & I would watch my stomach dance.
pick me! pick me! Our closet still has the bag and box in it (Still unorganized and packed!) that we sent back to Provo with you guys um like 5 months ago.
That is a really cool story of his life!
Post a Comment