Saturday, June 11, 2011

Day Fifteen. 34 weeks.

I'm officially 34 weeks pregnant today-- we made it!  If my doctor worked weekends, we'd have delivered this morning.  But, seeing as both baby and I have been stable and unchanging for the last two weeks, I told her I'd rather wait a few more days so she could do the C-section instead of a doctor I've never met.  Giving this kid two more days to cook won't hurt, either.

So Monday it is, bright and early, first delivery of the day!  Seems strange to schedule a baby's arrival, but I suppose it happens more often than not these days. 

This past week wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.  I've managed to read the entire Hunger Games series, watch every single Jane Austen/ Elizabeth Gaskell period drama Neflix has to offer, catch up on all episodes of various Fox and NBC talent competition shows, and write about a bazillion thank you cards.  I've also spent an exorbitant  amount of time on Pinterest (if you don't know what that is, stay away! It's addicting!), and HGTV.com.

Sounds pretty glamorous, put that way.  Laying around doing nothing all day and ordering room service whenever I want... One of my friends asked me, "so you're saying bed rest is kind of like a cruise?"  Ha. Well, not entirely.  Any food, even decent food, gets old once you've cycled through the menu three times.  And I'd really, really love to be able to go outside.  And not be alone all day.  And to get to walk around.  I am still pregnant, and sitting in a mechanical bed for 15 days is extremely uncomfortable. It's done a number on my hips and tailbone, I tell you what.  Not to mention just missing my family like crazy.  The days haven't been too terrible, but every evening gets hard and I just want to be home with them. 

It's my family and friends that have made it bearable.  Micah comes nearly every afternoon for about an hour after work (a few times I've made him stay longer-- which he's so willing to do, but he likes to get home to see Madison before bedtime, too), and my Mom brings my little sister and Maddi to see me every other day.  So many dear, dear friends have stopped by and brought flowers, cards, goodies and gifts-- and my little room has started to feel nice and cheery.  Not quite home, but close.  On Wednesday afternoon, my friend emailed me an invitation to a baby shower.  For me.  Micah had called her and suggested they throw a shower here at the hospital, and they made all the arrangements to use a little sun room off the antepartum floor.  They got the nurses to talk to my doctor, who gave approval for me to sit in a wheelchair and leave my room for the evening.  Oh, it was wonderful!  I put on my cutest pair of pajamas and some mascara and even my flip flops (exciting, after so long in bed!!!) , and my mom wheeled me down the hall to where a few close friends were waiting.  With generous gifts and cute decorations and yummy non-hospital food.  I couldn't stop smiling.  It was so nice to just BE with people, and to feel like a somewhat normal person again, rather than an invalid.  It was a wonderful, wonderful surprise.  In fact, I'm crying right now writing about it.  Thanks, guys!!  You really have no idea how much that meant to me. 

So, we're nearing the end.  In just a few days we get to meet our little guy, and get an idea of how long he'll be here in the NICU.  I'll get to start the recovery process, and come home middle of next week.  Hopefully, we'll get to bring baby home not too long after that.  How blessed we feel. What an exciting time for our little family!  We'll let you know how it goes!

7 comments:

Laura said...

So happy you and baby made it. Can't wait to hear how everything goes for you next week. You are such a trooper! Love you!

Anna said...

GOOD LUCK!!! we can't wait to see the little one!

hilaryawb said...

Best of luck to you! We'll pray that everything goes smoothly for you and your little family!

Sue said...

Haha I totally watched a ton of HGTV while Liam was in the hospital. Addicting. I loved Property Virgins.

Sarah said...

Good luck on your big day tomorrow! I can't believe two weeks already past. Get as much rest in now while you can! Love you guys. You will be in our prayers.

Meg said...

Katy I'm so glad the little guy will be here tomorrow! Good luck with everything. I hope you'll be up and frolicking outside in no time :)

Johnson Fam said...

Gosh! I had no idea how hard it's been for you! My mind has been busy with girls camp (we leave next week). I can't believe you went through all of that! I'm glad he's here now and that things are looking good for both of you! I know we live a few states away, but if there is anything we can do for you, please let us know! Congratulations!