Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Well, it was worth a try.



Tips for getting a picky kid to eat vegetables?

10 comments:

Tamara said...

Hi Katy!
I love all the updates of your little one and think she is quite a hoot when it comes to these veggies. She is just so smart! I would maybe try something called Amazing Grass Children's Blend. It is a wheat grass powder flavored using fruits and veggies. You mix one scoop with either water or milk and it takes almost like strawberry milk. I have added the liquid, powder, spinach, and a banana in a blender so make a really yummy smoothie for my 2 year old newphew and he loves it. It doesn't tasted healthy but its there. Here is the website http://www.amazinggrass.com/kidzsuperfood.html and it can be purchased at Whole Food stores.

All the best,
Tamara

Anonymous said...

Deceptively Delicious by Jessica Seinfeld. All of her recipes are great!

Laura said...

I'm definitely a fan of adding veggies to things to get Marné to eat more. You can disguise them all you want, but sooner or later they'll need to figure out how to eat them. So I do a combo of both. Just try providing a little bit in things she already enjoys. For example, add extra veggies chopped or pureed to spaghetti sauce. The smoothie idea is great. Marné loves smoothies and we put spinach in ours. Also, butter, salt, cheese, and dips definitely help with regular veggies. Try cooked and raw. Some kids are willing to try them different ways. You're on the right track by making them fun. Good luck!

Sara said...

I am supposed to be working on an RS lesson, but am highly distracted and am now cracking up. HILARIOUS! What a smarty pants.
I second deceptively delicious. I got it for 5 bucks at Kohls. Haven't tried anything out yet, bc both my girls love veggies, but it seems like there are some great recipes in there. Also, my sister loves to put spinach into mac n cheese.

Jennifer Tolman said...

I also got the deceptively delicious book for this last mothers day from my mom. Rhett LOVES so many of the recipes in it! and surprisingly so do rock and I! They are very yummy and make you feel great knowing that even if they don't eat any veggies that you add to the side that they are still getting some sort of veggies!!

Michelle D. Argyle said...

Oh, dear. See, Darcy would have eaten the celery, but she's weird like that. No mac and cheese for her. This also makes it very difficult to get her to eat easy kid things. There are pros and cons to both.

Heather said...

That's funny stuff. I was going to suggest chocolate chips instead of raisins but she ate the raisins. Threaten to spank her 10 times hard.

Katielin317 said...

keep trying:) Emmie was 3.5 yrs old and the missionaries were over for dinner. WE were all chatting and I see Emmie reach across to grab a "leaf" out of the salad bowl to munch on. She was eating spinach! Now, both at restaurants and at home she gladly eats some fresh salad. Not a ton, mind you, but she does have her serving. Also, at Emmies age now (4) I often let her pick out whatever veggie she wants from the produce section and then we go home and prepare it together. She is FAR more likely to at least try it. Oh, and having a garden helps. My kids eat green beans and tomatoes right off the vine. HOpe that helps:)

Laura Miller said...

My sister has a very picky two year old and swears by these cookbooks:

http://www.amazon.com/Sneaky-Chef-Strategies-Healthy-Favorite/dp/0762430753/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1283434895&sr=8-2

http://www.amazon.com/Deceptively-Delicious-Simple-Secrets-Eating/dp/006176793X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1283434895&sr=8-1

I'm happy you guys are updating the blog so often!

The Lorenc Family said...

Oh, Brady does that. haha! j/k Good try, though!