Tuesday, August 31, 2010

homemade.

Sometimes, I sew things.

I guess you could say it's kind of a newfound hobby. And it's come in pretty handy, like when my $10 plastic, bought-it-on-the-cruiseship-because-I-forgot-to-pack-my-purse bag just started falling apart.

I started with a $4 roll of remnant fabric from Ikea and this (free!) pattern from Made By Rae. I enlarged the pattern by about 130% (using the extremely high-tech method of zooming in Microsoft Word and then tracing onto tissue paper directly from the computer screen... not sure I should admit that!) and tweaked a few things here and there to make a completely customized, just the way I like it, brand new purse.

My favorite part of the whole process was getting to put pockets exactly where I wanted them, in exactly the size I wanted them to be (no more fishing around for my keys!!).


I added a divider in the middle to keep the diapers and toddler paraphernalia separate from the wallet, checkbook, etc. Thanks to my friend Aubrey for that idea! You are officially thinking like a mom ;).

I also reinforced all of the lining with heavy weight interfacing and added padding to the strap, since I tend to be a bit rough on my bags (How many snacks, toys and books can we stuff in one bag to get the kid to sit through church?).

And there you have it! A completely one-of-kind, made just right for me purse for under $5. I just love being thrifty!

11 comments:

Heather said...

SOOO Cute Katy! I love it! You are SO creative and darling. I miss you dearly...

Katielin317 said...

Isn't that a fablously easy pattern!?!? I love it! It was the first purse I made. I love how big you made yours....You have me thinking about making another one...and making it big. Here;s one that I made a long while ago: http://hipposanddinosaurs.blogspot.com/2009/09/buttercup-bag.html

Steve said...

That's my clever girl!

Derico Photography said...

That's way cute! Good work!

Sara said...

So Cute!
This is too weird, so I had to share. Did you guys ever know Fernando Mladino? He graduated the year before Mark did in ISYS. Anyway, his wife posted something you absolutely MUST see and it popped up on my google reader at the same time as this post did. Weird. Anyway their blog is: http://www.dianeandfernando.com/. Trust me it will be worth your time.

Michelle D. Argyle said...

Oh, Katy, it's beautiful!!!

Meg said...

You are so talented! I'm so glad I found your blog :)

Ady said...

Wow! I love it!

Aubrey said...

Love the bag Katy! :)

Karen said...

Super adorable! You've got an awesome talent! And we're coming back in May!

The Lorenc Family said...

Very cute, Katy. Who says style has to be overlandishly priced? The best of BOTH worlds.