Saturday, September 27, 2008

Micah's Surgery

For the last several months, Micah has said he felt "uncomfortable" in his side and groin. He chalked it up to a strained muscle- we even joked about sympathy pregnancy pains- but a visit to the doctor confirmed that he actually had a hernia. I'll spare you the gory details, but basically part of his intestine had pushed through the tissues that are supposed to contain it and ended up on the wrong side of the abdominal wall (still pretty gory, sorry!). No wonder he felt uncomfortable.

Turns out the only way to get rid of a hernia is to have a surgeon push everything back into place and patch up the hole in the abdominal wall... so we got to spend our Friday at the hospital. We checked in at 7:00 a.m., Micah was in the O.R. by 8:30, and back out in Post Op. by 11:00. When the doctor came to find me in the waiting room after 2 hours of surgery, he sat down in front of me and slapped his hands on his knees with an exasperated, "Well!" One look at my face told him that probably wasn't the best way to start, so he quickly said, "First of all, everything went perfectly smooth. But your husband had two of the biggest hernias I've seen!" Not one. Two. Poor guy- I don't know how he put up with the pain for so long. I'll never complain about pregnancy discomfort again.

After about an hour in recovery, I got to bring Micah home, feed him soup, put him to bed and drug him up with pain killers. I'm sure he hurts a whole lot more than he lets on, but he's still his happy, smiley self- just with a raspy voice and a cute little waddle when he tries to walk. All in all, he says he feels good, and should be up and around within the week.

Micah specifically asked me to thank all of our family and friends for your support and prayers throughout the week- he said he has felt much less pain and discomfort over the last several days leading up to the surgery, and realized that was probably a result of your prayers on his behalf. He wanted everyone to know how much he appreciates you! I know that your calls, texts, and emails have been a huge comfort and support to him this week. We have been so blessed, and are very grateful everything went so well!

5 comments:

ANeibaur said...

Aww poor Micah! Glad to hear that he is doing much better. Im such a baby, one sign of abdomenal pain and I take myself right into my doctor. LOL.

Michelle D. Argyle said...

So glad you got this taken care of, and that nothing more major occurred. We will continue to pray for you. And if you need anything, you know how to get a hold of us. :)

We miss you guys!

The Barbers said...

He didn't saound like he'd been in surgery when I talked to him Fri. night and I was so glad. I too had the experience of receiving comfort and peace during Joel's ordeal and gained a new understanding and appreciation of the power (literal, physical power) that comes from other people's prayers.

Jasmine said...

Two hernias?!?! He certainly can hide his pain well! I've never had a hernia, but I know people who have and if they're anywhere near as painful as they sound, you have one strong hubby. Best wishes in his recovery!

Anonymous said...

What a blessing to have the prayers of family and friends on your side. May the recovery be quick, complete, and final. * hugs to you both *