Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Blogging... and Math

Well, we finally did it! We jumped on the blog-wagon... uh, bandwagon. And although we both tend to keep ourselves too busy to spend much time on things like this, we figured it really is the best way to stay updated with our family and friends. Besides, I've become a dedicated reader of almost all of your blogs, so I guess it's time I start doing my part. :)

Really, the thing that finally motivated me was this realization:
  • If the average university student spends one hour studying outside of class for every hour in class, with a minimum of 12 credits per semester, for eight semesters (give or take)- then the average university student spends approximately 3,072 hours on schoolwork alone. Not to mention employment, extra-curriculars, socializing, and (occasionally) eating and sleeping.
  • Some students are average. And then some are crazy. Like me- who consistently invested three hours into every one hour expected on assignments, took far too many credits per semester, and who probably holds the world record for longest uninterrupted cramming session before a test. I figure I spent an estimate of 8,192 hours either in class or studying during my 3.5 years at BYU.
  • And then I graduated. Which means I now theoretically have 2,340 hours a year, 45 hours a week, or six hours a day to do things like post on our blog. Theoretically.

So why not?

I'll do my best at keeping this up to date with all the goings-on of our lives, and hopefully be better at staying in touch with all of our family and friends along the way. Honestly, what else am I going to do with all my extra time? :) (Just do me a favor and don't check my math- another side effect of graduating seems to be my brain turning to mush...)

9 comments:

The Michiganders said...

Welcome to the blogging world. It is really quite a community! And we have missed you.

Can't wait to see photos of your baby on here. Can we at least get a tummy shot?

Michelle D. Argyle said...

Oh, oh, oh! I'm so, so, so excited you're finally doing the blog thing! I mean, you have no idea...

Yes, you do have time to do thing like this. I do. And that means you should, too!

Now...I fully expect you to comment on my blog now. I will always comment on yours. It's common courtesy. (bashful grin)

And I love your layout and colors...it's very Micah and Katy.

Happy blogging!

Jasmine said...

Welcome to the blog world! It really is a great way to keep in touch with a lot of people without having to do the mass emails.

Congrats on the soon-to-be-coming baby! Motherhood is awesome, and you're going to be wonderful!

The Barbers said...

Yeah! Now hopefully we will know more of y'alls goings on!!!
What a cute picture on the tracks! I think you have a lot of cute pictures I haven't seen. (Blog hint. If you really don't have anything to post, pictures from the past and comments about them are still interesting and fun for those of us who didn't know!! :)

Rachel said...

I am so excited for this! You are such a clever writer, Katy. You're right, theoretically, you should have that much time to blog, but surprisingly, life gets busy in other ways. Its so unpredictable!

Steve said...

What a delight it will be for me to enjoy your e-presence each day!

Michelle D. Argyle said...

More comments from me -

It's not the graduation that turned your brain to mush - it's the baby. TRUST ME.

Also, thank you for not putting the scary floating fetus-thing on your blog. I hate those things. They're creepy. And if you don't know what I'm talking about - good! Or go to seriouslysoblessed.blogspot.com to see what I'm talking about . . . but I've given you fair warning!

Jasmine said...

The floating fetus thing is creepy, I agree. But there's a really cute tracker (that I used) on baby-gaga.com--if you really want one. :)

Anonymous said...

And I officially enjoy every one of your posts! Thank you for sharing your heart and home. It is a pleasure and a treat.