Sunday, April 1, 2012

million dollar baby


Graysen is expensive.


He managed to burn through our entire insurance deductible and out-of-pocket maximum in his first three weeks of life (thank you, dear husband, for working at an insurance company where we get good benefits).

Since then:
28 doctor visits (Yes, I counted.  Nine in the month of January alone.)
Six different specialists.
Five prescription medications.
Four EKGs.
One chest x-ray.
One CT brain scan.
One Cranial remolding helmet.

Currently, he is seeing a cardiologist, a neurologist, a urologist, an ophthalmologist, an orthotist and a physical therapist (*I'm not including details here- for the sake of those who want to skip all the medical jargon and diagnoses and whatnot- but I've explained his conditions and progress at the end of the post if you'd like to know more).

It's not as bad as it sounds.  He is a healthy, happy baby. And for the most part, his issues are relatively minor.
He just has a lot of them.
Which makes for an awful lot of doctors' appointments.  And co-pays. And time and gas spent running to offices all over town.  And a mom who pretty much worries herself sick about him all the time.

Poor kid. He's been through a lot.  The incredible thing is, he is always happy. He is always, always smiling. And giggling. And flirting (he has the receptionists at more than one office wrapped around his little finger!).  He is full of so much JOY.  Despite all his little challenges.  Oh, we love him for it.  No matter how much he costs.

(playing under the chair. a favorite pastime.)

* THE DETAILS.

The Heart:
At five days old, Graysen was diagnosed with SVT (supraventricular tachycardia, or episodes of extremely rapid heartbeat).  After one frightening episode (defibrillation on a 4 lb baby! Yikes!), and several more a day for the next few days, the NICU doctors started him on first one, then another beta blocker (medication for slowing down the heart rate/decreasing blood pressure. Yes, I give my baby the same medicine your Grandpa takes).  Once his episodes seemed to be under control, we brought him home. (And bought a stethoscope.) Graysen's heart has no structural problems; the issue has to do with the heart's electrical circuit and a possible extra sinus node, or accessory pathway (in lay terms: a spot of heart tissue that conducts the electrical signal when it shouldn't). As far as I understand, the electrical impulse signalling his heart to pump gets "off track," and the circuit is completed much more quickly than normal, causing rapid beating.  The scariest thing about all this is that, even though an infant's heart can sustain rapid rates for some time, if an episode went on too long without us knowing, his heart could burn out. BASICALLY, it all means we watch him closely, visit the cardiologist regularly, and in a few years possibly try a minor corrective surgery.  So far, medication is doing the trick just fine.

The Neck:
Graysen has always favored turning his head to one side, and for his first several weeks often slept with his face turned all the way to the left.  Because of this, or possibly because of the way he was positioned in the uterus, he developed Torticollis. Fancy way of saying the muscles in his neck are tight and his head usually tips to one side. Left untreated, the tendons in the neck can shorten and limit the head's range of motion.  We've seen major improvement and much better head posture with physical therapy, but the muscle tension and head tilt have hindered his physical motor skill development (he still struggles to hold his head up straight for long periods of time, push up on his arms while on his tummy, and balance while sitting up, because his little head is always cocked to one side.).  The muscle tension can cause jaw problems and asymmetry in the face, so we are working really hard to correct it. However, we weren't able to make enough difference with repositioning and physical therapy (and the stubborn little guy would only turn his head one way while sleeping) before the external pressure on the left of his head caused positional plagiocephaly, or flattening of the skull on one side. On to the next...

The Head:
Because he was a preemie, Graysen's cranial plates were still very soft when he was born.  Add to that the torticollis (always turning to one side), plus the lethargy and low energy caused by his heart medication (not moving his head much at all), and the result is too much pressure on one area of the skull. And a big flat spot.  Luckily, babies heads grow so rapidly that it's usually possible to reshape the cranium without surgery. Enter the cranial remolding helmet! After a CT scan to make sure there was no pressure on his brain (results were normal, thank goodness!), Graysen's head was casted in plaster (saddest ordeal ever. I cried more than he did), then a foam and plastic helmet was made just for him.  Essentially, it restricts the growth in some areas, while voided space encourages growth in others.  He has been wearing it since the beginning of January, and his flat spot has filled in, his head has rounded out, and for the most part we're just down to the "fine tuning."  There is still some asymmetry from right to left, but the orthotic practitioner thinks it'll only take another month or two to correct. He wears it 23 hours a day (an hour off for a bath and to scrub out the helmet because it STINKS), unless I want to cuddle him, or unless we are at the park and I want him to be able to feel the wind in his hair. I mostly loathe the thing, but I'll be darned if he isn't just the cutest little helmet baby I ever saw.

The Eyes:
Plagiocephaly can sometimes lead to vision problems, if the plates of the skull are lopsided in such a way that the eyes are no longer in the same plane.  We're not positive this is the case with Graysen, but his pediatrician recently noticed his left eye wanders a bit and was concerned enough to refer us to an ophthalmologist.  We haven't had the exam yet, so we'll see how it goes and update then.

Phew. Thanks for hanging on to the end. If you made it through all that, you deserve another photo of this handsome little guy (sans helmet):

9 comments:

Sarah said...

whew! That's so much! Well good thing he is so so cute.
Lydia had Torticollis a little bit.
Good luck with all those Dr appointments. I wish we were closer and Maddi could come play while you went from Dr to Dr.

Meg said...

Wow Katy, I can see why you'd worry over him. I hope the opthamologist appt goes well! If you ever need a sitter for Maddie or rides or anything let me know! I love that pic of him under the chair, his smile is just so sweet.

Michelle D. Argyle said...

Katy, he's so beautiful! I can tell how much you love him. :)

Jenni said...

He is so sweet, and I have no doubt he is worth it!!

Derico Photography said...

Definitely a handsome little guy!! Madison was born with Torticollis... you wouldn't think it would really be that big of a challenge to get your baby to turn their head, but man, they sure do make it hard! Maddie would do the same thing... she would only sleep on one side and she absolutely hated going to PT.

Have they had to put him in the tot collar? She had to do that. It was super sad, and MAN, did she hate that thing with a vengeance. Even now that she is three we still have issues. When she falls asleep she still can't control her neck muscles at all. It's especially sad but equally cute when she falls asleep in the car because her poor head droops down almost all the way into her lap. But it does get a little easier now that she actually understands what we're trying to get her to do (like when we tell her to use both sides... that's her cue that she's only using one side of her facial muscles and needs to smile big and pretty with both sides). We've actually got to find a new neurologist and PT up here in Washington. It's definitely a blessing to have good doctors who are both caring and knowledgeable.

Our little sweeties are definitely worth EVERY penny!

Unknown said...

Oh wow I'm so sorry Katy. You are so amazing and strong lucky he has a momma like you

Karen said...

Oh goodness! You guys have been through a lot! We will pray for Grayson's progress in all areas!!

Laura Miller said...

I had SVT as a teen- I thankfully few out of it and never needed surgery, but I can't imagine having to go through that with your little guy who can't tell you his heart is beating at 200 bpm! Y'all are obviously wonderful parents for the Lord to have given you such a precious addition :) good luck- I'm do happy nothing is serious!

Julianna said...

Hello dear friend! For some reason, I felt like re-reading this post and read through Greyson's heart problems section again. I realized I have a similar condition that was actually diagnosed this year, but it is something I have had my entire life. Basically, rapid heartbeats because I have an extra pathway (officially named Wolfe-Parkinson-White syndrome) as well. It was suggested that surgery would fix the problem, if I wanted to pursue that option, but as I've had it my entire life (and didn't know what it really was), I learned to deal with it and control it naturally. I'm sure keeping Greyson on his medication is the best idea for now since he is so little, but maybe as he gets older, he can learn to cope with it and find those triggers without having surgery. Just thought I would put it out there as someone who has it. :)