Friday, February 4, 2011

Everything's bigger in Texas.

(Except snow.) 

When I was young, I walked to school in the snow uphill both ways. 
Really.
And when I was a little older, I drove to school in white-out blizzards on black ice. And then a few years later I tromped around campus up to my knees in slush.  A little snow doesn't scare me.

But half an inch of the stuff is enough to close all the major highways and shut down schools and businesses in San Antonio (fellow Rocky Mountain natives, try not to laugh).  You see, Texas is not prepared for any kind of snow. No plows. No salt for the roads.  Apparently people who got caught in the flurries early this morning just parked their cars and slept on the freeways until the sun came up.  Micah even got to work from home most of the morning.

Behold, the great snowstorm of 2011:

A whole lot of hype for not a whole lot of storm!  But I have to admit, it was pretty exciting, seeing as this is the most it's snowed here since before I was born.  And hey, I'll take a snow day any way I can get it.

Now, off to build the world's tiniest snowman!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

wow! They don't salt the roads up here, you Texans are wusses :)

Derico Photography said...

BWAHAHAHA! That is awesome! Glad you survived the blizzard!

Aubrey said...

I hope you got a picture of the snowman!

ANeibaur said...

I'm laughing so hard right now... this cracks me up. poor poor TX. LOL
I'm glad for you though that you at least got some snow :)

brittany said...

having grown up in Texas, I was so amazed when I got to Utah and found out that they don't really get snow days. Snow days are the best thing ever when you are a kid growing up. But now that I have been in Utah for a while I join in with the northerners in mocking the southerners for their timidness.

Sarah said...

Love it. Lincoln cancels schools a lot for snow - which I was surprised. But then I found out they can't hold public school if the temp is -10 or lower. There have been 4 snow days already this year!

Racheal Jade said...

This reminded me of driving to see Donny in the snowy, cold morning! :)

JamiLeigh said...

That is HILARIOUS! Haha.

Unknown said...

I can't believe it. That is soooo funny. Reminds me of Georgia but we got more snow than that when it snowed the 2 times in the 9 years we lived there.